August 10, 2013

Differences and Usages: 勉強する vs. 習う vs. 学ぶ

Today I'll explain the differences between the following three words:
勉強する vs. 習う vs. 学ぶ.



I think the meaning of 勉強する is the same as “to study,” and this is the most commonly used word of the three. It refers to the act of understanding or acquiring knowledge by using materials such as books and notebooks.

習う is to learn something from someone else (usually from a teacher). It seems that this word is often translated as “learn”, but I think “take lessons” would be more appropriate.

学ぶ means “to come to know or understand something”. I think this is close to the word “learn,” but it is mostly used in writing, not in daily conversation.

Here are some examples:
私は英語を習っています。 I take English lessons.
私は今日の授業の前に2時間勉強しました。 I studied for 2 hours before today's class.
今日は、過去形について学びました。 I learned about the past tense today.


I like talking about languages, so I'll continue this series.
Please let me know if you have any suggestions or questions! :)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for share your Japanese with the world. For all students like me would difficult to use the words and correct verbs. I have a question about 生きるとすむ i have understand that the mean is exactly the same. But how i will use them?...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really sorry for my very late reply! I didn't notice this comment was posted. I'll post a new entry about this topic later. I'll let you know when it's ready. Thank you!

      Delete